Step 4: Make the icing and decorate the cookies.
You will need:
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 or 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of the milk or cream and stir.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a little more milk or cream and stir.
- Divide the icing into different bowls, one for each color of icing. You may want to
leave one bowl of icing white.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the icing and stir. Use a different food color
for each bowl.
- Decorate the cookies. If you do not have a frosting applicator, you can use a small
plastic bag for each color of icing. Use a toothpick or other pointed object to poke a
tiny hole in the corner of each plastic bag. Then put one icing color into each bag.
Squeeze the icing toward the hole in the tip so that the icing comes out a little at a
- Put icing on the stand and the part of the cookie that you will attach to the stand.
Press the cookie onto the stand where the icing is.