Step 3: Cut out the cookies and bake them.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean, dry cutting board and spread the flour around. You
should have a light layer of flour covering the area where you will roll out the dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your rolling pin (if you don't have a rolling pin, you can
use a tall drinking glass).
- Roll out the dough so that it is about 1/4 inch thick. If the dough is sticking to
the rolling pin, sprinkle some more flour on top of the dough.
- If you have cookie cutters, use them to cut out the cookie shapes. Or, lay the shape
patterns you cut out in Step 1 on top of the dough. Cut around the patterns with a
butter knife. Be sure to cut out some "stands" if you want your cookies to stand up.
- Place the cut out cookies and stands on a cookie sheet and bake them for about 8 to
10 minutes. They are done when the edges of the cookies turn golden brown.
- Use potholders to remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place the hot cookie
sheet on a potholder, trivet, or other surface that will not be damaged by the heat.
- Use a metal spatula or pancake turner to remove the cookies from the cookie sheet.
You can put the cookies on a cooling rack or a clean countertop. Let the cookies cool
for 5 to 10 minutes before you decorate them.