What to do About Needlefish Injuries
If the beak of a needlefish is still inside the arm or leg of the injured person:
1. Gently slide the fish out of the victim.
2. Remove any parts of teeth and carefully clean the wound.
3. Pour lots of fresh water over the injury. Antibiotics may be needed to prevent an
If the needlefish's beak has gone deep inside the person's head, neck, chest, abdomen
1. Do not remove the beak if you can get the person to a doctor within 24 hours.
2. Break or cut the fish of gently 1 to 2 inches away from the person's body. Then pad
or wrap the injury to keep the part of the fish that is still inside the person from
3. Take the person to a hospital right away. If it will take longer than 24 hours to
reach a hospital, you will need to remove the beak gently and prepare to manage a lot of